Built in the mid-1930s, Livingstone Hall was designed to complement Stewart Hall next door. It was named after David Livingstone, the Scottish explorer, doctor and missionary. Two engraved stones set in Livingstone Hall’s main entrance commemorate its dedication in 1936 and opening in 1937. The dedication reads “To the study of science”, a promise which Livingstone Hall has honoured. Today, it houses the departments of mathematics, geology, physics and other scientific disciplines. Livingstone Hall has witnessed the tides of history at Fort Hare – and some of these moments are recorded in additional engraved stones at the entrance to the Hall.