The Wool Exchange building is the historic heart of Fort Hare’s East London campus. Completed in 1930, the building was a trading centre for merchants, buyers and brokers in early East London’s flourishing wool trade. The trade eventually moved to Port Elizabeth and the Exchange became a satellite campus of Rhodes University in 1982. In 2004 the campus was incorporated into Fort Hare under the nationwide restructuring of higher education. Today, it houses the University’s administrative offices and is part of a growing campus which is helping to catalyse East London’s rebirth.